Texts & translations
On this page
- Accessing the text editing functions
- The text module, accessible at Configuration / Texts, can be used to edit texts displayed anywhere on the site.
- Use of an editor
- The texts can be edited and formatted with a
rich editoror directly as HTML in a
- Inserting images
- Images can be inserted in the texts. They need to be uploaded first to the COMS server. An upload button is provided.
- Providing reference documents for download
- You can upload documents to the COMS server. Once they are uploaded, a link to their location can be copied and pasted in texts and emails, allowing participants to download them.
- Editing more than one language
- If more than one language is activated, edits can be performed for all active languages.
- If you use a language that is not one of the languages actively maintained by COMS, you can use the text module to retrieve English texts and translate them. The translations are input and saved on your account and do not require any download or upload of data.
Identify and edit any text
- Go to Configuration / Texts / Edit any text / 3. Switch on text identification and activate text identification. When this option is on, text identifiers are appended to the texts, between square brackets, as illustrated below:
- The numbers displayed between the brackets identify the texts and can be used to retrieve them for editing.
- Go to Configuration / Texts / Edit any text / 1. Edit a text and input the identifier of the text you want to edit in the edit box labelled "Text identifier", then click on the "Display" button to call the text into the edit box under it.
- Edit the text, click on "Update" and check the result.
- This function can be useful if you want to change several texts. After activating the display of all text-IDs, you can make a list of the text-IDs you need to edit.
Find a text and its ID through a search
- Go to Configuration / Texts / Edit any text / 2. Find the ID of a text and input a text, or part of a text, then click on the "Search" button.
- A list of IDs corresponding to all the texts that contain the text will be displayed. These IDs can be used to edit the texts, as described above.
- This function can be useful if you want to change all instances of a text that is repeated throughout the site.
- Many of the simple display texts (instructions, headers), can be edited directly, in-place.
- To enable in-place editing, go to Configuration / Texts / In-place editing and activate the feature.
- Navigate to the text you want to edit. Texts that can be edited in-place are marked by a dashed frame (Fig.1). When you click inside the frame, an editor is activated, allowing you to modify the text. As soon as your edits are saved, the new text will replace the old one on all accounts.
- Note: the editor is only available to the user who activates the feature.
- As soon as edits are completed, go back to Configuration / Texts / In-place editing and deactivate the feature.
Edit a text on a form
- If the text is part of a form, for example a label or instructions ("Email", "Please only input a single email address"), it should be edited directly on the page dedicated to the setup of the form.
Last updated: 05 August 2021